Worcester's Industrial Heritage
Gloving, vinegar, Worcestershire Sauce, fine porcelain, cast iron and much, much more. Worcester has been home to a plethora of inventions and fine production.
In 1751 the Worcester Porcelain Works opened its doors for the first time when Dr Wall set up what is known throughout the world as Royal Worcester, famed for its fine tableware and intricate porcelain models of birds, flowers and figurines. Whilst most of the factoryŒs manufacture now takes place outside Worcester, the fine artists and gilders can still bee seen at work in Severn Street.
Lea & Perrins the only original and genuine Worcestershire Sauce is an important Worcester product. This piquant sauce is still made to a secret recipe brought from India by Lord Sandys and made up by local chemists John Wheeley Lea and William Perrins. They initially thought it horrid, but found that when left to mature for a few years it was much to their liking and they started selling it in 1837. It is exported throughout the world from Worcester and no meat dish or "Bloody Mary" is complete without a dash.